срочный займ на карту

Pre-Arrival, Orientation and Induction

What should students bring when they move to Japan?
  • A valid passport: Students will not be permitted to enter Japan unless there is a minimum of six months left until the expiration of their passport.
  • Passport-sized photographs (4 cm x 6 cm): These will be necessary for visa and resident card applications.
  • A valid health insurance policy: It is mandatory for all students to be covered by a legitimate health insurance policy.
  • Medications: Students should bring any prescription and non-prescription medications.
  • Clothing for various seasons and occasions: Although winters are fairly mild in the Tokyo metropolitan and Fujisawa areas, students should bring warm clothes because many places in Japan do not have a central heating system. Summers in Japan are hot and humid. Students are recommended to bring at least one set of formal clothes for special occasions.
  • Personal computer: Students are recommended to bring computers with wireless capability as many class materials are provided in a digital format. Although SFC offers a computer-lending service on a daily basis, student may find it advantageous to purchase their own computer for long-term purposes. Computers can be purchased at reasonable prices through Keio University’s joint purchase system; however students should note that, with the exception of Macintosh computers, most computers purchased in Japan come packaged with only Japanese manuals. Conversely Japan-bought computers are compatible with kanji, hiragana and katakana characters, which may be beneficial for those who intend to study the Japanese language.
  • Money: In addition to funds for accommodation move-in fees, students are advised to bring at least 100,000 yen for the settling-in period. Certain items may be more expensive in Japan compared to other countries. Traveler’s checks are a convenient way to bring over large denominations of money, but they can be cashed only during banking hours. It should be noted that Japan is still a cash-based society; as such credit cards are not as widely accepted by stores. Cards from outside Japan can only be used with certain ATMs. Citibank users from other countries can easily access their accounts in Japan.

For more details about moving preparations, and necessary visas and documents required for studying Japan, please refer to the following websites:

What other items are students recommended to bring when they move to Japan?
  • International student ID: The international student ID card is widely accepted in Japan. It can be used for discounts on travel tickets and admission to museums and concerts.
  • International driver’s license: An international or Japanese driver’s license is required in the unlikely case that a student needs to drive a car. The former option is more practical, as preparations for the Japanese driver’s license test can be time consuming and costly.
  • Books: Although large bookstores like Maruzen and Kinokuniya, as well as some libraries, carry a good selection of English language books, there is no guarantee they will have everything students are looking for. Please note that ordering books from overseas usually takes a fair amount of time.
Can students arrange for transportation services to SFC from their port of arrival?
Students should arrange their own transportation to SFC from their port of arrival, which will most likely be Narita Airport or Haneda Airport.

Access from Narita Airport

Most international flights land at Narita (New Tokyo) International Airport, located in Chiba prefecture, on the eastern outskirts of Tokyo. The easiest way to reach the Yokohama area from the airport is by Airport Limousine or the Narita Express train. The trip will take about 90 minutes by either option. Ticket counters are located near the luggage claim area, after passing through customs.

For more information about Narita Airport and associated transportation options, please refer to the following websites:

Access from Haneda Airport

Some international flights land at the Haneda (Tokyo International) Airport, which is located in Ota-ku, Tokyo. From the airport, the easiest way to reach the Yokohama area is by bus or the Keikyu Line train. The trip will take about 30 minutes by either option.

For more information about Haneda Airport and associated transportation options, please refer to the following websites:

Does Keio University offer in-country pre-departure briefing sessions?
The university does not offer pre-departure briefing sessions.
What kinds of orientation activities does SFC hold for international students?
Orientations for international students are held in April and September. During these events, all international students receive guidance on status of residence, funding and scholarships, activity outside scope permitted, health care, bank account and housing. Campus tours organized by current students and welcome parties are also offered.